Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do I change the language on my computer and how do I hook it up to my internet provider?

My family had a Windows XP computer about two years ago and it had a bad virus. They took it to a Korean repair shop (my family is of that nationality), got it fixed, and stored it away in a safe place until I decided to hook it back up today.



Everything is working fine, but the language is changed to Korean so I have difficulty knowing which program is what. Also, I want to be able to use the internet on it.



My internet provider is Comcast, and we only own one modem that is currently hooked up to the computer I am typing on right now (a Windows Vista). We also have a D-Link router so that my Mom and brother can use their laptops around the house.



My Mom is going to help me with changing the computer back to English, but I need to know what to click on so she can translate.



As for the internet, I do hope I do not need to call Comcast and order another modem because it's a bit pricey, so how should I go about getting internet access on my Windows XP?How do I change the language on my computer and how do I hook it up to my internet provider?
As far as the language, go to Control Panel and click on Regional and Language Options (its an icon of the earth). Change the pulldown menu to English.



As far as your internet, no you wont need a new modem. Ok, so it sounds like your router is wireless and your laptops work fine on them. It sounds like you're saying that the computer you're on now, is hooked up to a wire, correct? Are there other ports in the back of the router to hook up another wire? If so then just hook that to your computer (You need an Ethernet cord). If not, then you need to buy what is called an Ethernet Switch. They are pretty cheap (20.00 for a cheap one which is just fine).



Think of an Ethernet Switch like the brown extension cord. You know how you plug the extension cord in your wall, but you have 3 plugs on the other end? Same principle. Ethernet swiches come with different amount of ports, usually 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. The amount of ports is how many computer you can plug into it (bascially, think of your brown extension cord as a 3 port model, with 3 plugs). So you can buy a small port model for your needs. The way you will hook it up is you will take the cord from your internet modem and plug it into the Uplink port in the back of the ethernet switch. Then plug your two regular computers into any of the other jacks in the back. Voila, they will work instantly. Your Router will handle giving each of the computers the IP#'s.



Oh, there is another device that works almost identical to an ethernet switch. They are called Hubs. You can use one of those too. But I recommend a switch because they are more efficient.



Click this link for pictures and prices of ethernet switch at walmart: http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.

No comments:

Post a Comment